This page will contain announcements and communications with church members during the Covid-19 Pandemic, with most recent at the top.
Pastor’s March 30, 2020, email to members:
It looks like we will be extending our stay at home time for the next month or so.
Even though we won’t be meeting together, there will be opportunities for ministry, encouragement, and supporting one another.
Please note the following announcements.
- The weekly sermons are available on line at GrandMesaSBC.org They are also available by CD. If you would like a CD with notes, please let me know at (970) 417-3310. Roger can help you with web site questions. (970) 640-8668
- The Chapel downstairs is available for personal times of worship if you would like. There are hymnals, CD’s of the sermons, and an offering plate for your convenience.
- The new quarter of Sunday School starts this next Sunday, April 5. See Nick’s note below about the upcoming classes. The lessons will be available on line, via email, or through the mail. Please let the teachers know if you would like to have their notes.
- If you would like to contribute to the ongoing ministries of the church, you can send a check to the church: P.O. box. P.O. Box 458 Cedaredge 81413. As mentioned above, there is also an offering plate on the table in the chapel.
- Bob Hardman is coordinating some deep cleaning at the church so that the building will be sparkling and “germ free” when we reopen. See his list below of what needs to be done. The carpet will be cleaned on April 7th. Before that is done we are emptying out class rooms and cleaning the windows, chairs, pews, and generally disinfecting all surfaces. I know we can’t all be there at the same time, but if you have an hour or two this week or next, let Bob or me know and the door will be open and supplies available for you. There will also be work to be done next week after the carpet is cleaned. Your help is appreciated.
- We are making an effort to call each of you regularly during this time to see how you are. However, if you would like some help with groceries, other errands, have prayer needs or other things you wish to discuss, please don’t hesitate to call on the elders, deacons, or anyone else in the church family. Ed Reese 856-3635 and Ron Perry (970) 209-2650 are the deacons in charge of practical ministries.
Blessings on you,
Nick’s Note on Sunday School:
Spring Quarter Sunday School
Begins April 5, 2020
Five seminars will be held from 9:30 to10:30 AM as follows:
- Classroom #5. Nick Greear will be completing the study of the Book of Hebrews begun in January. Upon completion (3-5 weeks) he will be offering various other seminars to complete the spring quarter.
- Classroom #1. Doug McCully will lead a 13-week Bible study on the Book of Romans for groups of all ages that takes participants deep into the context of God’s Word and challenges them to live it out in their own context.
- Classroom#7 (Library). Ed Reese will also lead a 13 week course entitled How to Grow. Focusing on spiritual disciplines, topics include, among others, Bible intake, prayer, confession, stewardship, cultivating spiritual fruit, and perseverance.
- Classroom #2. Bill Wells will start the quarter with the six week course Explaining Christianity. For Christians and non-Christians alike, this course will cover the following topics: Jesus – Son of God, the crucifixion, resurrection, salvation by grace, repentance, and faith.
- Classroom #2. Chary Scroggins will follow Bill Wells starting May 17 with the seven week course Following Jesus. Weekly topics include saved by God, living by God’s ways, listening to God, talking to God, meeting with God’s family, meeting the world, and living in hope.
Because the restriction on public gatherings are still in place, each leader will offer alternative learning opportunities be it on our church web site, emailing of lesson plans, home studies, or other methods.
It would be very helpful if you contact the leader of each seminar now and let them know if you will be attending their course so they can make alternative learning arrangements if restrictions are still in place.
Nick Greear: 856-6393 Doug McCully: 856-3862
Ed Reese: 856-3635 Chary Scroggins: 852-1724
Bill Wells: 856-3619
Bob’s Spring Cleaning List Call Bob at 856-1121 or Dennis at 417-3310 if you can help.
GMSBC Semi-Annual Volunteer Cleaning To-Do List
- Shampoo and disinfect pews, choir loft area also.
- Disinfect and wipe down hard surfaces of pews.
- Wash windows and sills.
- Disinfect and wipe down other chairs, rails, other flat surfaces.
- Bathrooms—disinfect wipe dividers, doors and dispensers.
- Remove all objects from carpet; the carpet to be shampooed April 7.
- Remove and disinfect tables and chairs from classrooms.
- Empty out classrooms to prepare for carpet shampooing. (April 7)
- Wash windows and sills.
- Bathrooms—disinfect wipe dividers, doors, and dispensers.
- Disinfect and wipe down all doors, knobs, door plates, etc.
- Elevator–disinfect wipe all surfaces.
Below is the text of an email sent to the church family from Pastor Dennis on March 18, 2020:
Dear Church Family,
In the ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic, President Trump and other government officials issued guidelines for public meetings aimed at slowing the spread of the virus. They called for the cancellation of meetings with more than 10 people present.
In compliance with the scriptures that encourage us to obey civic authorities and the desire for the good of each other and others around us, we are cancelling our services and regular church events for the remainder of March. We will, however, continue to have the weekly sermons on line and they will be distributed on CD for those who ask. These sermons will be recorded at the usual time on Sunday morning and be made available shortly thereafter. I hope that these will be useful to you as you continue to worship at home or in small groups.
We encourage you to keep in contact with one another and pray for each other. Love each other in tangible ways. If you need help with groceries or other needs, let Ed Reese and Ron Perry know. They are the deacons in charge of Practical Ministries. The elders will also be in touch with you and will be available for personal visits.
We will continue to be in contact with you in the next few weeks as the situation develops to let you know about our plans for the services in April.
Finally, rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality. (Romans 12:12-13)